Monday, July 14, 2008

River Wild

It has been a while. Jen has been in town, so that means I get nothing done and spend every second I can with her. because? She is my sister! She will be moving soon and I know i won't get to see her for a long time, sad.

Anyway, we had a lot of fun with her and her boys. Lex already misses them. It was fun for him to get to play with boys! Here Lex is giving a bow, how cute!They played in the backyard for hours. They would just chase each other around. That is one of Lex's favorite games.
Logan and Lex love to eat. Here they are eating goldfish. I think they were being nice and sharing with Rachel's dog too.
Alyssa is a little dare devil. She got in the pool and ran blindly.
Connor is so handsome. He came over to tell me that the park was closing in 15 mins, "That's all, thank you." He has such an imagination.


Happy 4th of July!
We started off the day and went to the provo parade. It was a lot of fun.
We had prime seating thanks to Charles and Candace. Lex had a blast. He was pointing at everything. I think the horses were the highlight of this parade.
Logan loves Maddie. He wanted to sit with Rach instead of watching the parade.
Connor had a good time. He was cute and waving to the stuff he liked.
Later that afternoon, we drove to Richfield to hang out with Ben's family. Lex fell asleep so he missed the fireworks that night. I was surprised he didn't even wake up to all the fireworks going off that night.
On Saturday we decided to go down the Sevier river on rafts. I was really excited cause my family never really did outdoorsy things. I think Lex was excited to begin with. Here he is playing with the oars.

He even helped out dad blow up our yellow raft.
Jonathan and Jace came along too. He is so funny. They are wearing "sombreros".
So after we got all the rafts blown up and ready to get on the river, I had to put Lex's life jacket on. What a mistake. I am trying to be a good mother and protect my son but, he was not having it. He was throwing one the biggest tantrums I have ever seen from him. What a brat! I finally just threw him in the raft and started down the river. I finally got him calmed down by what else giving him food. I swear this kid is not happy unless he is eating. The life jacket doesn't even look comfortable, I know. I took it off a while later. Don't judge, it had to be done. He is still living.
Ryan and Kristina and the kids came too. They were riding in a very tipsy canoe.
So we start down the river and everything is fine now that Lex is doing good. Then, I realize that are raft has a slight hole in it and we are slowing sinking into the river. That is not so bad, I figure we'll make it to the end.
Then, the weather starts getting bad. It starts to get a bit windy and overcast. Please don't rain. Yup, it did. It started sprinkling. I notice that some of our party stops. I didn't want to stop I just wanted to make it to the end. We keep going and it is raining harder and it is not letting up. So we had to stop because we were moving like molasses in our deflating raft. We get out to pump it up and go on our way. As we are doing that everyone catches up. I was surprised. So everyone stops and we make a little fort with all the rafts so we can bundle up and get warm.
Ben was so good about rowing the raft. I guess he is the expert because he wouldn't even let me try. Hey, I went to girls camp and knew how, I promise.
Back to the story.

As everyone is huddled together. People started abandoning us. Jonathan and Jace left. He walked to their car. Dallin and his friend went with too. We got all the rafts back up and running. Jared and his friend took our broken raft and we decided to get in the working one.

Ben, Ryan, and Layne decided to ride in the canoe and pull the rest of the rafts with Kristina, Me, and the kids in it. I was fine with that. I was enjoying the scenery. Lex was doing good. He really didn't complain at all. It was hilarious watching the boys try to get in this canoe. I think they fell in about 4 times before Layne said bag it I 'll ride in one of the rafts. Finally, Ryan and Ben made it on. I really think that was the highlight of my trip was watching my husband tip over so many times in that canoe.
While we were floating along the river we run into barbwire and it popped some of the rafts. We ran into trees along the edge. What else? We missed dinner time. Lex was happy, I found a smashed up peanut butter and jelly sandwich and fed that to him. We started the trip around 3pm and when we got into the car it was 8:30 pm. That is the longest river ride I have ever been on.
Needless to say, I really had a fun time and I would do it again, despite all the crazy things that happened.
Anyone up for next year????

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm TOTALLY up for next year! I was bummed we missed it, but I think my excuse is worthwhile :) I hate missing out on the family vacations! We miss so much!!

Rachel Leigh said...

ya, not so much! If it is a nice day maybe! I loved all the pictures though!

Angela said...

I can't believe how much Conner looks like Jen! He is a doll.

Wow, what a trip! I totally hear ya about the fits kids throw. Sounds like it all was pretty adventurous! Cool.

Charlotte said...

lindz... do you let lex sit on your lap while you drive, too? ;) just teasing.
i always felt like i missed out because our family never did outdoorsy stuff. if i were around, i'd be right there with ya. i'm glad you had a fun adventure.

just jen said...

sounds like it was an adventure...

i am glad connor was waving at everyone during the parade. that means i have taught him well. it's proper parade etiquette, you know.

Wendy said...

Sounds like fun. I love canoeing, but I wouldn't like rafting if I didn't get a turn to be in control- I mean, paddle.